Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector in managing their environment and natural resources. We have delivered innovative, breakthrough solutions in key development sectors including: countering wildlife crime, forestry, protected area management, climate change, economic livelihood development, community engagement, and institutional capacity building.
The goal of the recently awarded Tuhifadhi Maliasili activity is to address dynamics that hinder habitat connectivity and the long-term persistence of biodiversity in Tanzania. This activity will incorporate a series of interventions that support and strengthen government and civil society capacity for biodiversity conservation in a manner that: i) increases private sector engagement in conservation and natural resource management (NRM); ii) builds the capacity of the public sector and civil society; and iii) strengthens the policy and regulatory framework for conservation and NRM. These interventions together will reduce threats to biodiversity in Tanzania while moving Tanzanian institutions further on their journey to self-reliance.
The Accountant position is responsible for ensuring appropriate systems and procedures (payroll, cash management, vendor payments, budgeting, and other related expenditures) are followed to properly disburse, account, budget and report project funds which are cost effective, timely, have proper internal controls and comply with the terms of the agreement.
- Support the project’s Finance Manager oversee the project’s finance and accounting functions;
- Accounting/keep track of expenses and other financial transactions, mainly involving expense entry, tracking, and record keeping;
- Prepare and submit monthly expense reports to the RTI home office;
- Review expenses and financial transactions to ensure compliance with RTI procedures and terms of the agreement;
- Maintain inventory tracking system and perform periodic reviews to ensure compliance with USAID and RTI procedures and terms of the agreement;
- Reconcile cash accounts for field offices;
- Perform the cash management functions required in maintaining RTI bank accounts;
- Manage petty cash accounts;
- Follow up with field offices to make sure that bi/weekly expense reporting is submitted within the deadline;
- Review and submit monthly bank reconciliations;
- Double-check the accuracy of information to discover weaknesses or missing data and strive for strict compliance and high quality performance;
- Recommend necessary ideas based on the review findings to improve quality of reporting;
- Perform other tasks as assigned by his/her supervisors.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Master’s degree and 3 years of experience or bachelor’s degree and five years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to answer most inquiries and questions independently and follow up on requests in an efficient manner.
- Preferred experience and knowledge of USAID accounting policies and procedures.
- Ability to understand and interpret policies and procedures as well as the ability to apply them with consistency in a variety of circumstances.
- Ability to function independently and carry out routine responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Must be proficient in MS Excel and working knowledge of accounting software is preferable. Accpac proficiency would be a plus.
- Must be able to communicate in both Kiswahili and English (written and oral).
- Ability to work well in team environment and train others in financial reporting.
- Ability to follow guidelines and controls required of the position.
- High level of integrity and impeccable record in previous accounting positions.
- Ability to monitor progress of a project against milestones or deadlines.
RTI is an equal opportunity employer. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. To apply, please send your CV to email@example.com and put the title of the position in the subject line.