Position: Research Officer – 1 post
Reports To: Project Leader/ Principal Investigator (PI)
Work station: Ifakara
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for a Research Officer to work with t h e Pyriproxyfen Autodissemination project based in Ifakara. T h e O f f i c e r w i l l b e r eq u i r e d to conduct research activities on mosquito borne diseases and their surveillances; meet minimum performance required by a research officer at IHI; present research findings from time to time to the thematic group meetings; and do some paper writing and data analysis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct researches based on mosquito borne diseases and its
- Report on progress and outcomes of the projects at the end of every month by way of electronic or printed
- Meet these minimum performance standards for a Research Officer:
- A minimum of second authored article in a recognized peer reviewed journal per
- Participated in the concept or proposal
- Have a collaborative
- Present research findings at least twice a year at weekly departmental meetings and at least once at a national conference during the course of the
- Liaise with the community, government and other stakeholders as
- Undertake at least one professional development opportunity in grant writing, paper writing or data analysis during the course of the project.
- Seek support from PI and other senior scientist to apply for a grant to support master’s program.
- Assist with any other duties as directed by the project
Qualification and Experience
Holder of Bachelor of Sciences in Biology or Molecular biology or any other related
Skills and Competencies
- Familiar with different assays performed in the laboratory for example ELISA, PCR, Electrophoresis, Microbiological analysis, and Parasites
- Understand Good Laboratory Practices that may result into availability of quality laboratory
- Familiarity with researches conducted at IHI based on malaria vector
- Mosquito identification, collection and
- Identification of different mosquito trap: CDC Light trap, pit trap, resting buckets,MET
- Conducted different insecticide testing: Cone bioassay, tunnel testing and bottlebioassay
- Interpretation of results obtain from PCR
- Research proposal and report
- Computer skills (Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, STATA, R Studio andInternet).
- Work under minimum supervision but also within a
- Excellent attention to details, Good interpersonal and communication
- Adhere to IHI core values (Transparency, Accountability, Respect, Integrity and Initiative).
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters through e- mail together with their detailed CVs showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00hrs, 11th of March 2021. All e-mail application subject lines should include: RESEARCH OFFICER – AUTODISSEMINATION. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
Dar es Salaam
The deadline for submitting the application is 11 March 2021