UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a full-time position within the Executive team in our Representation Office, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women, and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions of people.
Established in December 1950, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect and assist refugees and other persons of concern. For more than six decades, UNHCR’s work has helped over 50 million refugees restart their lives. UNHCR teams are in the field in over 125 countries, using their expertise to protect and care for nearly 65 million people who have been forced to flee their homes.
Title: Associate Executive Officer
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Duration: One year
Contract Type: UNOPS, IICA-1 (Eqv.P2)
Closing date: 31 January 2022
Start date: 15 February 2022
THE OFFICE OF THE UNHCR WAS ESTABLISHED ON 14 DECEMBER 1950 BY THE UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY. THE AGENCY IS MANDATED TO LEAD AND CO-ORDINATE INTERNATIONAL ACTION TO PROTECT REFUGEES AND RESOLVE REFUGEE PROBLEMS WORLDWIDE. ITS PRIMARY PURPOSE IS TO SAFEGUARD THE RIGHTS AND WELL-BEING OF REFUGEES. IT STRIVES TO ENSURE THAT EVERYONE CAN EXERCISE THE RIGHT TO SEEK ASYLUM AND FIND SAFE REFUGE IN ANOTHER STATE, WITH THE OPTION TO RETURN HOME VOLUNTARILY, INTEGRATE LOCALLY OR TO RESETTLE IN A THIRD COUNTRY. THE INCUMBENT WILL WORK UNDER THE DIRECT SUPERVISION OF THE UNHCR REPRESENTATIVE IN TANZANIA WHO IS THE SOLE AND OVERALL RESPONSIBLE OF THE TANZANIA OPERATION INVOLVING SUB OFFICE KIGOMA, FIELD OFFICE KIBONDO, FIELD OFFICE KASULU AND FIELD UNIT DODOMA.
THE UNHCR REPRESENTATIVE IS A MEMBER OF THE UNITED NATIONS COUNTRY MANAGEMENT TEAM (UNCMT) WHICH COMPRISES ALL HEADS OF UN AGENCIES OPERATING IN TANZANIA. FOR RECORD KEEPING PURPOSES, THE INCUMBENT MIGHT BE REQUIRED TO ATTEND MEETINGS OF THE UNCMT AS WELL AS MEETING CONVENED BY THE REPRESENTATIVE FOR BRIEFINGS WITH DONORS AND GENERAL OPERATION MEETINGS INVOLVING THE SENIOR MANAGEMENT TEAM OF THE UNHCR OFFICES IN THE COUNTRY
We are seeking a dynamic and proactive team player, with an ability to work independently to support the executive team.
You will work closely with the Representative and other executive officials. Liaising with external parties, including UN office, donors and international organizations to support the Representative with background information on relevant topics prior to meetings, to respond queries on behalf of the supervisor at his/her discretions and to obtain assistance of others on matters of relevant to the office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
UNDER THE DIRECT SUPERVISION OF THE REPRESENTATIVE, THE INCUMBENT WILL UNDERTAKE THE FOLLOWING RESPONSIBILITIES:
ACCOUNTABILITY (KEY RESULTS THAT WILL BE ACHIEVED)
• THE SUPERVISOR IS PROVIDED SUPPORT BY MANAGING THE FLOW OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATIONS, PRIORITIZING AND HIGHLIGHTING ISSUES THAT NEED ADDRESSING.
• BACKGROUND DOCUMENTS FOR MEETINGS ARE PREPARED IN TIME.
RESPONSIBILITY (PROCESS AND FUNCTIONS UNDERTAKEN TO ACHIEVE RESULTS)
• ASSIST IN MANAGING THE FLOW OF INFORMATION TO THE SUPERVISOR, IN IDENTIFYING PRIORITY MATTERS THAT NEED TO BE URGENTLY ADDRESSED BY THE SUPERVISOR AND IN PROPOSING ACTIONS; ANALYZE SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION AND SUMMARIZE MOST RELEVANT POINTS FOR THE SUPERVISOR; CONTRIBUTE TO ENSURING THAT APPROPRIATE ACTION IS TAKEN BY RESPONSIBLE SECTION HEADS ON MATTERS BROUGHT TO THE ATTENTION OF THE SUPERVISOR.
• ASSIST IN FOLLOWING-UP ON POLICIES AND INSTRUCTIONS PRESENTED BY THE SUPERVISOR. KEEP THE SUPERVISOR AWARE OF DEVELOPMENTS IN UNHCR’S MAJOR WORLD-WIDE OPERATIONS AND OF POLICY ISSUES RELATED DIRECTLY TO UNHCR OR TO HUMANITARIAN ISSUES UNDER THE BROADER UN SYSTEM.
• ASSIST THE SUPERVISOR IN THE PREPARATION OF STATEMENTS THAT REPRESENT UNHCR’S OVERALL POLICIES, AND WHICH HIGHLIGHT SPECIFIC AREAS OF CONCERN. PROPOSE AND DRAFT SUBSTANTIVE CORRESPONDENCE FOR THE SUPERVISOR.
• CONFER WITH SECTION HEADS TO SECURE TIMELY AND AUTHORITATIVE INFORMATION RELEVANT TO MATTERS REQUIRING ACTION, DECISIONS OR THE SIGNATURE OF THE SUPERVISOR.
• ENSURE THAT THE SUPERVISOR IS PREPARED FOR MEETINGS AND MISSIONS BY DRAFTING TALKING POINTS, BY RESEARCHING RELEVANT INFORMATION; AND BY ESTABLISHING CONTACTS (WITHIN AND OUTSIDE UNHCR) ON THE SUBJECT MATTERS TO BE DISCUSSED.
• ACCOMPANY THE SUPERVISOR TO MEETINGS AND ON MISSIONS IN ORDER TO PREPARE NOTES ON THE DISCUSSIONS, ENSURE FOLLOW-UP IN MATTERS RAISED, AND SUPPORT THE SUPERVISOR WITH ANY RELEVANT INPUT.
• SUPPORT THE SUPERVISOR IN EFFORTS TO RAISE THE PROFILE OF UNHCR AND THE AGENCY’S CONCERNS WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE BROADER UNITED NATIONS SYSTEM.
• CONTRIBUTE TO COORDINATING DRAFTS OF POSITION PAPERS AND OTHER DOCUMENTS RELEVANT TO THE ACTIVITIES OF THE OFFICE.
• ENSURE THAT HIGH-LEVEL VISITORS ARE APPROPRIATELY ADDRESSED, THAT THEY RECEIVE BACKGROUND INFORMATION AS NECESSARY, AND THAT PROTOCOL IS RESPECTED.
• PERFORM OTHER RELATED DUTIES AS REQUIRED.
AUTHORITY (DECISIONS MADE IN EXECUTING RESPONSIBILITIES AND TO ACHIEVE RESULTS)
• PRIORITIES TASKS AND ORGANIZE WORK INDEPENDENTLY.
• SELECT AND MAKE PERTINENT ABSTRACTS AND SEARCH FOR INFORMATION.
• HAVE ACCESS TO SENSITIVE AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
• UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE (EQUIVALENT OF A BA/BS) IN POLITICAL SCIENCE, INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS, LAW OR OTHER RELATED FIELDS PLUS MINIMUM 3 YEARS OF PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE RELEVANT TO THE FUNCTION; OR GRADUATE DEGREE (EQUIVALENT OF A MASTER’S) PLUS 2 YEARS; OR DOCTORATE DEGREE (EQUIVALENT OF A PHD) PLUS 1 YEAR OF PREVIOUS RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE MAY ALSO BE ACCEPTED.
• PROVEN DRAFTING AND EDITING SKILLS.
• EXCELLENT COMMUNICATION SKILLS.
• A PROVEN ABILITY TO ACT WITH DISCRETION AND DIPLOMACY IS ESSENTIAL FOR THIS FUNCTION.
• KNOWLEDGE OF ENGLISH AND UN WORKING LANGUAGE OF THE DUTY STATION IF NOT ENGLISH.
- Good knowledge and experience of UNHCR operations.
- Working language of Swahili (written, spoken).
The successful candidate will be based with the team in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
This position is one year, and the start date is in February 2022. It is a full-time role with working hours starting from 07:30am to 04:30pm Mondays to Thursdays and from 07:30am to 01:30pm on Fridays (40 hours per week)
Due to the volume of applications only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date of applications: 31 January 2022
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity. Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
The post Associate Executive Officer at UNHCR January, 2022 appeared first on 2022/2023 Mabumbe.