Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector. As a not-for-profit, independent research institute based in North Carolina, USA, RTI has roughly 5,000 employees with global experience implementing international development projects. RTI’s Sustainable Growth & Resilience (SG&R) technical unit within the International Development Group brings together RTI experts and capabilities across food security, agriculture, energy, environment, water, governance, and economic opportunity. SG&R will leverage RTI’s experience designing and delivering multisectoral programming and technical solutions to respond to climate change, build resilience, and promote economic growth around the world.
SG&R’s Environment portfolio has delivered innovative, breakthrough solutions in key development sectors, including countering wildlife crime, forestry, protected area management, climate change, environmental policy, economic livelihood development, community engagement, and institutional capacity building.
RTI is seeking a Director of Finance and Operations for the anticipated USAID/Tanzania Heshimu Bahari project, focused on supporting and strengthening marine biodiversity in Tanzania. This project will work to build the capacity of public sector and civil society, increase private sector engagement in marine conservation and coastal natural resources management, improve the enabling environment for MPAs and Fisheries management, and enhance data availability and use in decision making. The Director of Finance and Operations will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of financial management, procurement, and operations, including systems implementation, budgeting, expenditure tracking, and financial reporting. They will be responsible for ensuring the project’s compliance with both RTI and USAID policies, procedures, rules and regulations. They will lead coordination in the areas stated above with home office, USAID, and partner organizations. The Director of Finance and Operations will lead budget development and monitoring, award monitoring and compliance, procurement, and logistics for RTI in the field. They will proactively manage security and mitigate security risks.
Position is contingent upon award and funding.
Responsibilities of the Director of Finance and Operations include, but are not limited to:
- Lead all project finance and operations, including general administrative processes, financial management, procurement, accounting, administration, human resources, IT and logistics.
- Establish and maintain sound and transparent accounting and fiscal control procedures; be able to detect and swiftly deal with any issues of fraud and/or corruption.
- Ensure compliance of financial and operations systems with RTI policies and procedures, USAID rules and regulations, and local laws.
- Works closely with COP, technical staff, pertinent RTI home office staff and appropriate USAID staff when necessary to ensure project resources are effectively and efficiently budgeted, analyzed, disbursed, monitored and reported in achieving project objectives and results.
- When necessary, work closely with key RTI staff, government officials, contractors and USAID staff to ensure full compliance with local laws (i.e., taxes, shipping, customs, registration) while integrating with current systems and procedures.
- Liaise between RTI headquarters and the field office on financial and procurement matters.
- Regularly analyze and forecast project expenses.
- Support finance/operations-based capacity development of local partners/government agencies as needed by the program
- Oversee preparation and timely submission of monthly financial statements and reports (including expenses, receivable and payables, bank reconciliations and wire transfer requests).
- Supervise the project’s operations, finance, procurement, and administrative staff, providing training and oversight.
- Provide oversight and management of program subcontracts and grants;
- Liaise with internal and external auditors in the review of project financial management.
- Manage and mitigate risk through monitoring national and regional issues that may impact staff and programming and ensure all staff understand and adhere to RTI staff safety and security policies and plans.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 12 years of experience, Master’s degree and 10 years of experience, PhD and 6 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience and expertise in the implementation of large and complex projects, regional programming experience preferred.
- Five years proven leadership of similar sized international donor programs with strong skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, procurement and budgeting.
- Knowledge of applicable USG and USAID procurement, assistance, rules and regulations, as well as administrative policies and techniques.
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Access plus working knowledge of accounting and procurement software (particularly QuickBooks) is preferable.
- Demonstrated skills in building, mobilizing, and leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Proven ability to work under pressure, and with multiple concurrent demands.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; fluency in Swahili preferred.
- Experience working in Tanzania.
- Ability to travel and work throughout Tanzania.
The post Director of Finance and Operations at RTI January, 2022 appeared first on 2022/2023 Mabumbe.