Agricycle closes the gap between smallholders in developing economies and global markets by democratizing access to the agricultural value chain through our distributed network and portfolio of upcycled ingredients. Agricycle is a for-profit benefit corporation and startup, meaning we operate in a fast-moving environment to disrupt the status quo and create social, economic and environmental impact.
Overview: Finance Officer
As our Finance Officer in Tanzania, you will report to the Finance Manager in Kenya and work closely with the Operations Coordinator and Field Officers in Tanzania. You will support Agricycle’s growth by performing critical office functions and reducing team members’ workloads with reliability, diligence and attention to detail. You will proactively find ways to support the team and will regularly multitask multiple responsibilities including assigned projects apart from regular duties.
- Complete all accounting requirements for all subsidiaries in Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda.
- File all monthly taxation and statutory requirements in Tanzania and manage Agricycle’s exposure.
- Support the Finance Manager and TZ Operations Coordinator in bookkeeping and record keeping.
- Record all cash accounting, creditor and debtor accounts on Quickbooks Online.
- Maintain individual staff cash accounts and all inventory counts and recordings.
- Fulfill information requests by other Agricycle entities in the United States and Kenya.
- Perform assigned projects such as cost of operations per field officer or liaise with external auditors.
- Schedule outside vendors and travel arrangements including services, buses and flights.
- Answer, direct and take care of phone inquiries and provide support to visitors at our office.
- Sort and distribute mail and occasionally travel off-site to ship documents or packages.
- Accomplish all other reasonable responsibilities provided by supervising team members.
Ideal candidates are:
- Highly creative with a hunger for innovation and are natural born problem solvers.
- Motivated by a passion to make the world a better place and love to take on challenges.
- Servant leaders who help to build the team and take on whatever role is necessary.
- Eager to learn and thrive in the fast-paced “fail fast, fail often” startup culture we embody.
- Collaborative in a highly diverse and global team and can work independently when remote.
- Critical and strategic thinkers with strong decision-making skills.
- Empathetic and patient, knowing no task is below them.
- Strong team players, knowing teamwork is necessary and that each role supports the other.
- Minimum of 3 years of demonstrable experience in accounting and finance..
- University degree and certifications (CPA, ACA, ACCA) or highly related business degree.
- Experience with the Tanzanian tax code and regulatory environment and reporting requirements.
- Good communication skills (written, oral and digital); good command of English is necessary.
- Demonstrated compassion and empathy, strong work ethic and unimpeachable integrity.
- Readiness and ability to regularly perform under pressure and within short timeframes.
- Readiness to travel anywhere in Tanzania under short notices and occasionally work odd hours.
- Excellent working knowledge of computer applications, especially: gmail and spreadsheets.