Improving the wellbeing of communities in Zanzibar by making holistic health care services accessible to women and girls
Job Title: Financial Officer – Family & Women’s Health Organization in Zanzibar
Location: Zanzibar, Tanzania
Job Type: Full-time
WAJAMAMA is looking for an experienced finance officer to ensure financial health of our organization. The officer will be expected to undertake all aspects of financial management including designing and overseeing financial processes, accounting, and bookkeeping, implementing our internal controls and best practices, ensuring financial and donor reporting compliance, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecasts preparation, further development of our internal control policies and procedures, and assisting in the development of the organization’s growth strategy. Additionally, the officer will be expected to provide ownership and execution on all administrative issues. Experience with developing budget proposals, grant writing, and working with grassroots organizations is a plus.
Who We Are
Founded in 2019, WAJAMAMA is a women-led and locally founded social enterprise-NGO hybrid built on the belief that initiatives aimed at making the greatest social change must prioritize the beginning of life. Because each life starts inside of a woman, our model primarily focuses on women’s and girls’ health. For those who choose to become mothers, this will increase their chances of having healthy pregnancies, as well as empowering labor and birth experiences. Subsequently, this will make healthy and beautiful beginnings a right accessible to their babies. It is well known that the holistic wellbeing of infants during the first 1000 days after conception has the power to impact their health, cognitive development, and livelihood for the rest of their lives. At WAJAMAMA, our work is centered around the understanding that a future with “equal opportunities for all” is dependent on the transformation of the narratives surrounding reproductive health, pregnancy, and childbirth outcomes that continue to put birthing people in Zanzibar and their babies at a disadvantage.
WAJAMAMA, which stands for Watoto (children), Jamii (community), Mama, is the first center of its kind in Zanzibar. Our mission is to improve the wellbeing of communities in Zanzibar by making holistic healthcare services accessible to women and girls of all socioeconomic backgrounds.
We serve women, girls, children, and their families through our holistic model of practice. Our wellness center offers high-quality pediatric and primary care services for all, as well as specialized women’s health care services such as gynecological, preconception, prenatal, and postpartum visits. We are also home to Zanzibar’s only fitness and yoga space created by women for women. Our disease prevention and health promotion activities include health and wellbeing workshops hosted at our center and in villages across Zanzibar for women and girls from economically-marginalized communities. Our signature workshops include: menstrual health and hygiene, cervical and breast cancer awareness, pregnancy, childbirth, and nutrition education.
Who You Are
We are looking for a passionate, innovative, self-driven, and highly-organize individual with a growth mindset. Our team is “tiny but mighty”. The ideal candidate must have the drive to work in a start-up environment, and a heart to serve.
Job Summary: Our women’s health non-profit organization in Zanzibar is seeking a dedicated Financial Officer to join our team. The Financial Officer will oversee all financial operations of the organization and ensure that all financial transactions are recorded accurately and in a timely manner. The role will report to the Executive Director and work closely with other departments within the organization.
- Develop and manage the organization’s annual budget
- Monitor financial transactions and ensure that all financial records are accurate and up-to-date
- Oversee and ensure proper patient billing and recording
- Manage accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Process payroll and other employee-related financial transactions
- Prepare and analyze financial reports to aid in decision-making
- Manage financial audits and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements
- Implement and maintain financial policies and procedures
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with vendors, donors, and stakeholders
- Provide financial training and support to other staff members as needed
- Assist with grant writing and reporting
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field
- At least 3 years of experience in financial management, preferably in the non-profit sector
- Strong knowledge of financial accounting principles and practices
- Experience with financial software and systems (Quickbooks, Excel)
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience in business development, sales and marketing
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili is a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to the organization’s mission and values
- Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications
- Health insurance coverage
- Professional development opportunities
- Friendly and supportive work environment
- Opportunity to make a positive impact in the lives of women, girls, children, and communities in Zanzibar
How to Apply :
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to the Executive Director via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a Reply