Head of Operations
Lyra in Africa Organization (Lyra) is a registered Tanzanian Non-Governmental Organization based in Iringa. Lyra’s mission is to create vibrant communities by improving education and income opportunities for girls and women across rural Tanzania. Lyra seeks to recruit a dedicated, self-motivated and highly organized individual for a new position of Head of Operations, which is recruited on a fixed term contract till June 2022 (renewable).
Role: Head of Operations
Location: Iringa, Tanzania
Preferred start date: December, 2021
Contract: Full time until the 30th June 2022 (Renewable)
Reports to: National Director
Supervisory Responsibilities: Direct supervisor for all Lyra program leads
Travel: Frequent travel to Lyra field locations will be required
Languages: Excellent English, both written and spoken, as well as a knowledge of Swahili an advantage
As a member of Lyra’s Senior Management Team, the Head of Operations will provide leadership and management of Lyra programs with an enhanced focus on digital learning, partner engagement, safeguarding, risk and compliance. The Head of Operations will act as the Deputy to the National Director and will be a full and active member of the Lyra senior management team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with each Lyra program team, the Head of Operations will be responsible for planning, integrating, coordinating and monitoring day to day operations to ensure all services are delivered to a high quality standard and in an efficient manner.
- Lead the implementation of the Lyra Digital Learning Program
- Collaborate with programming team leads, finance and Lyra Senior Management
- Team, to ensure appropriate project expenditures are in line with financial plans and proper stewardship of material sources.
- Lead the process for the preparation and monitoring of annual budget plans and grant budgets to ensure they reflect maximum operational efficiency and budgetary compliance.
- Set and provide technical oversight of internal processes for approving expenses, monitoring spending, and making budget adjustments in line with operational and programmatic needs with donor requirements.
- Anticipate, identify and address challenges that affect the proper stewardship, risk and optimal utilization of program assets and resources (financial, human, and material).
- Manage all Lyra Program team leads and effectively manage and grow talent.
- Manage team dynamics and staff well being.
- Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance management for direct reports.
- Monitor and assess performance to ensure adequate capacity for successful support of high quality programs.
- Oversee compliance with NGO and donor requirements and local laws and regulations through periodic systems checks, and review of Lyra’s policies and procedures.
- Act as lead contact and responder to issues that emerge from internal and external audits and provide recommendations and guidance to implement improvements
- Lead on the process of Monitoring – evaluation and learning
- Ensure implementation of the Organization safeguarding policy and procedures by all organisation stakeholders including staff, contractors, consultants, etc.
- As part of the Senior Management Team, contribute towards fundraising activities for the Organization Budget
- Act as the Deputy for the National Director
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to work collaboratively in an instinctively inclusive manner
- Strong team leadership and management experience
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Knowledge and experience of multiple public donors’ regulations, including FCDO, highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Knowledge of procurement and office administration/management issues.
- Proficient in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
- Demonstrated commitment to respect, equity, diversity and inclusion, including gender equality.
- Strong understanding and commitment to safeguarding
- Experience of working in the NGO sector with a strong understanding of the local legal requirements within Tanzania
- Strong project management skills and experience
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in a management position with progressive responsibilities.
- Additional experience may substitute for some education; additional education may substitute for some experience.
- Understanding of financial systems, including budgeting and budget/expense analysis experience.
Please send a one-page application letter together with your CV of not more than two pages to: email@example.com
Deadline: 19th of November, 2021
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contactedLyra is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.