Join Our Telegram Group for Daily Job Updates CLICK HERE
Position: Contract Specialist, Africa Region
Tanzania, Kenya, South Africa, Zambia or Gabon
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 1951, the Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. We are tackling climate change, conserving lands, waters, and oceans at unprecedented scale, providing food and water sustainably and helping make cities more sustainable. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we strive for a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 72 countries, including all 50 United States, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter.
Since establishing the Africa Program in 2007, The Nature Conservancy’s vision in Africa is to work towards fostering a sustainable future for people and nature, partnering with indigenous communities across 55 million acres on the continent. Our efforts are firmly rooted in people, leveraging scientific and technical expertise as we collaborate with governments and organizations to conserve and enhance Africa’s shared resources in the 9 countries we operate.
TNC’s work in Africa transcends three key pillars: securing ownership rights to lands and resources for indigenous people, strengthening leadership and resource management and helping communities value nature through a holistic appreciation of its benefits while increasing revenue streams for conservation efforts and socio-economic development. Together with our partners, we are witnessing critical milestones in integrated land and fisheries management, ocean and source water protection, energy development and sustainable food production, working together and strengthening our resolve in tackling global challenges such as climate change, habitat and biodiversity loss that stands to adversely impact the nearly 1.4 billion people that share Africa
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Contract Specialist will work as part of a larger operations team, serving as focal person to provide overall contract review, guidance, and training alongside the legal team to operations and program managers in preparation for contracts in the region. The Contract Specialist is responsible for executing the BUs contracts compliance including their approvals. This position will report to Operations Manager, Africa region and the location for this position is flexible between Tanzania, Kenya, South Africa, Zambia or Gabon. No employment visas or assistance is being offered with this position except for the local labour employment requirements.
The Contracts Specialist will support the strategic priorities of the Africa region through efficient oversight of Africa Region contracts, while providing excellent customer services to project managers. They are responsible for supporting staff from every phase of contract development from researching the legal regulations to negotiating the terms and preparing the final print document. They collaborate with Legal team to support staff to terminate contracts on favorable terms. They will provide guidance related to administrative contractual requirements based on extensive knowledge of policies and procedures to staff across Africa region. They are responsible for implementation of the contractual processes and practices in order to improve effectiveness and disseminate information to assist staff in making decisions, solving problems, and improving workflow.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Develop and implement new initiatives that will ensure Africa region contractual goals and strategies are achieved.
- Prepare contractual agreements using current research methods and knowledge of a client’s (program or departmental) needs and ability to fulfill its requirements
- Ensure programmatic commitments, Conservancy policies and procedures, GAAP, and legal requirements are met and managed for compliance. Decisions may bind the organization financially or legally
- Collaborate with Grants Specialists on managing public awards and with the region’s legal representatives on matters of heightened complexity or risk
- Ensure contracted vendors obtain and possess required insurance coverage and that appropriate documentation is obtained and maintained
- Review contract terms and conditions to verify that they are in compliance with TNC policies and all applicable regulations
- Maintain contract tracker, to ensure all contracts are up to date and alert program managers on expiry dates, so that amendments can be done in a timely manner
- Collaborate with the legal team to maintain contract templates, guidance and training materials and ensure effective distribution thereof to regional staff
- Clearly explain contract terminology to TNC staff and other interested parties in simple language
- Self-monitor progress according to the schedule of completion to submit drafts and documents in a timely manner
- Proofread, edit, and fact-check legal documents for accuracy and consistency, according to a style guide if provided by the client
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Manage and/or review contractor’s invoice and deliverables before processing.
- Ensure compliance with Conservancy policies and procedures, and external (donor/legal/IRS) requirements
- Financial responsibility includes assisting with purchasing, processing invoices, contracting with vendors, and assisting with budget preparation
- May act as a resource to others to solve problems relating to Contracts.
- Travel and work flexible hours as needed
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years related experience or equivalent combination;
- Finance, Operations or related field experience;
- Experience managing and implementing multiple projects;
- Experience drafting and negotiating agreements and managing contract workflow and process;
- Experience working with widely dispersed cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated experience handling confidential information;
- Multi-lingual skills (French, Portuguese and/or Kiswahili preferred) and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experiences are appreciated;
- Ability to work in partnership with others in a collaborative role;
- Advanced knowledge in current and evolving technology related to field of experience;
- Knowledge of current and evolving trends in the specific field, preferably in a non-profit environment;
- Strong organization, planning, and problem-solving skills, along with a strong attention to detail;
To apply for job ID 51466, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on DATE. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
Download our Ajira Yako APP from Google Playstore using the link here>>>
Join Our Telegram Group for Daily Job Updates CLICK HERE