Announcement Number: Dar es Salaam-2022-033
Hiring Agency: Embassy Dar Es Salaam
Position Title: Information Technology Assistant
Open Period: 03/15/2022 – 03/29/2022 Format MM/DD/YYYY
Vacancy Time Zone: GMT+3
Series/Grade: LE – 1805 8
Salary: TZS TSh38,384,127
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-8
Duty Location(s): 1 Vacancy in Dar Es Salaam, TZ
Telework Eligible: No
For More Info:
• Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type: Permanent
Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Information Technology Assistant in Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Section.
Supervisory Position: No
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
Travel Required: Occasional Travel
NETWORK AND SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION (30%)
- The incumbent is responsible for configuring network components such as switches, routers, firewalls and servers; and performs network and systems monitoring using monitoring tools to ensure the integrity, reliability, and availability of services at all times.
- Maintains documentation of the Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), telecommunications links and telephone systems.
- Applies and ensure installation of Operating Systems patches on a regular basis on CDC Tanzania network devices such as switches, routers, and servers as directed by HQ Security Team.
- Ensure that all network and server hardware systems and peripheral equipment operate according to CDC computer Security policies, standards, and guidelines.
CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND PROFESSIONAL USER TRAINING (30%)
- Responsible for the planning and delivery of customer support services, including installation, configuration, troubleshooting, provide technical assistance, and/or professional training, in response to customer requirements.
- The incumbent is responsible for installation, maintenance, configuration, and troubleshooting hardware and software, providing technical assistance to about 90 CDC Tanzania users (new staff, existing users, TDY personnel and CDC fellows).
- Responsible for setting up Voice infrastructures and/or VOIP/Desk Phones, LAN and WAN links and Wi-Fi connectivity including testing, fault diagnosis and repairs in collaboration with IT Chief.
- Maintains workstation operating system healthy by properly patching all systems and Re-image all workstation that have been detected to be compromised.
- Advises the IT Chief of recurrent and/or critical problem and seeks advise for problem escalation to IT helpdesk and/or HQ Engineers.
- Responsible for providing professional training to users on the use of Standard Enterprise Applications, MS Office suite, information management systems, use of all Portable/Mobile devices, VPN and other communication technologies and devices used in the CDC environment as well as Intranet tools and any other applications used by CDC Tanzania staff. Train users about CDC network security and best practices for computer usage.
PERFORM ROLE OF THE ALTERNATE CUSTODIAL OFFICER / IT PROPERTY INVENTORY MANAGEMENT (20%)
- The incumbent is responsible for CDC/Tanzania IT property inventory management and ensure all IT assets follow the US Government IT policies and procedures.
- Conducts frequent inspections on equipment assigned to personnel or program to ensure that all items are properly maintained and safeguarded. If loss, damage or destruction occurs to reportable equipment items, the incumbent is responsible to make sure factual data is provided as support documentation for relief of responsibility and accountability.
- Ensures up-to-date property management systems that documents details of equipment (currently estimated at USD 1,000,000) at CDC Tanzania including location and procurement details.
- Performs periodic physical inventory to determine the accuracy of the inventory systems.
- Determines appropriate storage locations and methods of storage.
- Ensures signatures are appended for all issued equipment and uploads records of the same in the business system.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT & GOVERNANCE 10%
- The incumbent leads projects assigned by IT Chief and practice project management techniques to achieve project goals.
- When the project is initiated from CDC HQ office the incumbent will collaborate with CDC Atlanta Systems and Network Engineers for related projects and advanced configurations.
- Responsible for project initiation, planning, and vendor selection.
- Projects include network infrastructure upgrade, systems upgrade, new technology implementation, VTC setup, Wi-Fi internet setup and others initiated locally/HQ.
INFORMATION SECURITY 10%
- The incumbent provides technical advice for developing, implementing, and monitoring information security for CDC Tanzania office.
- Apply and ensure installation of Operating Systems patches on a regular basis on CDC Tanzania network devices as directed by HQ Security Team.
- The incumbent evaluates and ensures that information systems meet USG policies and standards.
- The incumbent with collaboration with the CDC Tanzania IT Chief enforces security policies to ensure information systems reliability and accessibility and to prevent and defend against unauthorized access to systems, networks, and data.
- Serves as compliance focal person promoting awareness of security issues among staff and ensuring sound security principles as reflected in organizations’ visions and goals.
- Ensure staff undertake Security Awareness Training (SAT) to understand and adhere to systems security policies and procedures.
**Note: This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by incumbent. Incumbent will be required to perform other duties as assigned by the agency.
Qualifications and Evaluations
Experience: Minimum of four years of performing progressively more responsible work of a program, technical or administrative nature where emphasis is placed on analytical, judgment, and expository abilities with respect to the operation, management, and utilization of computer systems is required.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Computer Engineering or Electrical engineering is required.
Language: Fluent (reading, speaking, and writing) in English is required and Fluent (reading, speaking, and writing) in Kiswahili is required. “This may be tested”
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Benefits: The U.S. Mission in Tanzania offers compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, applicants MUST apply electronically via ERA.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Computer Engineering or Electrical engineering is required – Certificate
• National ID copy
• Proof of Citizenship
• Other Document
• Other Document 2
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted only via email.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Tanzania.
The deadline for submitting the application is 29 March 2022.