The Management of Sokoine University of Agriculture wishes to invite suitable qualified individuals, who are able to work full time in a dynamic academic environment to apply for two (2) positions at the SACIDS Foundation for One Health under the O.R. Tambo Africa Research Chair for Viral Epidemics of Short-cycle Animal Stocks. The O.R. Tambo Africa Research Chairs Initiative (ORTARChl), combines development and higher education objectives. It aims to honour Oliver R. Tambo, a leading figure in the development of African unity; have a catalytic impact on the development of research infrastructure; and contribute to knowledge production and high-end skills in alignment with Africa Union Agenda 2063 and the Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy for Africa 2024 (STISA 2024). The initiative is implemented by the Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology, South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) and the Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) with core partners, the Oliver & Adelaide Tambo Foundation, Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and Science Granting Councils Initiative in Sub-Saharan Africa (SGCI) participating councils.
The O.R. Tambo Africa Research Chair for Viral Epidemics of Short-cycle Animal Stocks aims to develop innovative approaches through science and technology driven by genomics, molecular biology and analytical epidemiology in order to improve the risk management of transboundary viral epidemics of short-cycle animal stocks i.e. African swine fever affecting domestic pigs; peste des petits ruminants affecting sheep and goats; Newcastle disease affecting poultry; and tilapia lake virus disease affecting tilapine fish. The Research Chair seeks to contribute to enhancing national disease surveillance, reporting, transparency and accountability to all users of health data, including those affected by epidemics at the community level. The focus at the community level is driven by the need to understand how women, in particular, who are the most active small scale farmers of short-cycle animal stocks in Tanzania, can better mitigate the effects of these viral epidemics on their livestock. The chair is integrated into the SACIDS Foundation for One Health, a regional programme founded in 2008 by universities and national research institutions in five Member States of Southern African Development Community (SADC), hosted at the Sokoine University of Agriculture.
O.R. TAMBO AFRICA RESEARCH CHAIR PERSONAL ASSISTANT (1 POST)
- Possession of Master of Philosophy (MPhil)/Master of Science by Research (MRes) or equivalent qualifications from a recognized University.
- Ability to conduct techniques in virology especially cell
- At least one publication as co-author in reputable journals indexed at PubMed relating to
- Good communicator (orally and written, in English) with strong interpersonal skills and leadership
- Computer literate, with experience in writing reports and use of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Power
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure effective and efficient functioning of the R. Tambo Africa Research Chair, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made.
- Prepare of high-quality briefing materials for the O.R. Tambo Africa Research Chair appointments, meetings, missions and presentations.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of the collection and/or submission proposals and reports for the R. Tambo Africa Research Chair.
- Maintenance of the O.R. Tambo Africa Research Chair calendar, contacts with offices of University management, SACIDS National, Regional and International Partner Institutions and offices of development collaborating agencies, arrangement of appointments and taking meeting
- Assist the O.R. Tambo Africa Research Chair in developing research manuscripts for publication in international peer-reviewed journals indexed at PubMed.
- Conduct field and laboratory work for the O.R. Tambo Research
- Performing any other related duties as assigned by the R. Tambo Research Chair.
- Report to the O.R. Tambo Africa Research
Not above 30 years at the time of application.
Two year contract, renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
SACIDS Foundation for One Health at Sokoine University of Agriculture in Morogoro, Tanzania.
As per Treasury Registrar’s Circular No. 10 of 2015 with adjustment as offered by O.R. Tambo Africa Research Chairs Initiative.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications should be addressed to the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration and Finance), Sokoine University of Agriculture, P.O. Box 3000, Chuo Kikuu, Morogoro.
The application letters should indicate names and addresses of two (2) Referees with their reliable contacts, together with certified copies of academic certificates, academic transcripts and all credentials i.e. Form IV, Form VI, University, Birth Certificate, Curriculum Vitae and other testimonials like the National/Citizenship Identification Card.
Those who studied abroad, Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU) Verification must be attached to the application.
The deadline for submitting the application is 18 February 2022.
The post O.R. Tambo Africa Research Chair Personal Assistant at Sokoine University February, 2022 appeared first on 2022/2023 Mabumbe.