Temporary Job Opening (Duration 1 May – 30 September 2021) Security Officer, G-3 (multiple positions)
OFFICE : Registry/UN Detention Facility
LOCATION : Arusha
JOB OPENING NUMBER : 2021/TJO/IRMCT/REG/UNDF/114-GS
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Organizational setting and Reporting:
This position is located at the United Nations Detention Facility (“UNDF”), International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (IRMCT). This appointment is limited to the Mechanism. Under the overall supervision of the UNDF Supervisor, the incumbent will provide support to UNDF.
The Security Officer is required to perform the following functions:
- Provide the carrying out of daily patrols or perform supervisory duties at a number of posts within the United Nations Detention Facilities (UNDF);
- Provide the control the entry access of persons, materials and packages at the UNDF entrance;
- Maintain a record of visitors and all property and Handle family visits of detainees and Lawyers visiting detained clients;
- Conduct searches and the official clearance and entry of all visitors and staff;
- Ensure that Tanzanian Prison Officers and other security officers on duty are discharging their functions appropriately,
- Provide responsibility for equipment and its inventory and safe keeping assigned to the shift;
- Conduct cell searches as directed by supervisor;
- Provide the handling of incoming and outgoing telephone calls for detainees;
- Perform custodial duties during detainee movement outside UNDF for court appearances or for medical treatment;
- Operate equipment in the control room and monitor the movements inside and outside UNDF;
- Patrol the UNDF cell compounds and maintains general order;
- Deliver important documents and mails between UNDF and MICT Headquarters;
- Ensure that any official vehicles assigned to UNDF have sufficient fuel and are in good condition, co-ordinate with dispatcher and follow up vehicle service and repair;
- Perform any other related duties as
- Professionalism – Knowledge of United Nations security and UNDF practices. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people
- Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organisational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where
High school diploma with supplemental security, military, or prison training.
Minimum of two (2) years relevant experience in security, prisons, police, military or other relevant military experience. Experience in UN Detention Facilities policies and procedures is highly desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the Tribunal. For the post advertised fluency in English and Swahili is required. Working knowledge of French is desirable. Working knowledge of Kinyarwanda is also desirable.
HOW TO APPLY:
NOTE FOR INTERNAL CANDIDATES:
- Staff at the G-3 level are eligible to apply.
- Interested staff members must complete the UN Personal History Profile (PHP) form obtainable via personal inspira accounts (in PDF format) or the IRMCT website. Please submit all documents including the PHP, a Cover Letter, and the last two e- PAS’s ELECTRONICALLY AS ONE DOCUMENT to the recruitmentR@un.org in-box. Please indicate the job opening number in the subject line.
- Once received, a list of candidates who meet the requirements of the post will be sent to the supervisor, who will prepare a written comparative analysis of the candidates and recommend a candidate for the position. Please note that only short listed candidate(s) will be informed of the outcome.
NOTE FOR EXTERNAL CANDIDATES:
- External applicants must (a) provide a copy of a valid driver’s licence (b) provide proof of a firearms (pistol) qualification (c) complete the UN Personal History Profile (PHP) form obtainable from the IRMCT website (unmict.org) and (d) indicate the job opening number in the subject line.
Please forward the above documents in a word format to the recruitmentR@un.org in-box. Applications missing any of the requested information will not be considered.
|Security Officer, G-3 (multiple positions)
- Once received, a list of candidates who meet the requirements of the post will be sent to the supervisor, who will prepare a written comparative analysis of the candidates and recommend a candidate for the position. Please note that only short listed candidate(s) will be informed of the
- The appointment of the successful candidate will be on a local
NOTE FOR PREVIOUSLY ROSTERED CANDIDATES
Roster candidates must express their interest and availability for published job openings by submitting an updated PHP and cover letter.
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE AT MIDNIGHT (THE HAGUE TIME) ON THE CLOSING DATE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. ONLY THE SELECTED CANDIDATE WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE OUTCOME.
The deadline for submitting the application is 24 March 2021