The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a Parastatal Organization established by an Act of Parliament No. 23 of 1979 (CAP.59, R.E.2002) and became operational in 1980. NIMR-Mwanza Research Centre (MMRC) is one of the NIMR Centers located in Mwanza region. The Centre is currently conducting research on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, non-communicable diseases (NCDs) as well as other diseases of public health importance.
The National Institute for Medical Research is looking for qualified, experienced and well-motivated personnel to fill the Senior Social Scientist and Study Coordinator positions under Gender Ideology and Cyber Violence Studies at NIMR Mwanza Centre.
CYBER VIOLENCE STUDY
Cyber violence is a comprehensive term for harms and abuse enabled and acted through digital and technological means. Online and information and communication technology (ICT) violence, often linked with offline violence, disproportionally affects women and girls. Cyber violence is a relatively new area of study and little research has been conducted in low and middle-income countries. The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR), Mwanza Centre will carry out this research in collaboration with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) in the UK and Ludwig-Maximilians-University (LMU) in Germany.
Job Position: Study Coordinator (1 Post)
REPORTING: The post holder will report to the Project Principal Investigator
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To oversee the day-to-day implementation of the study;
- To oversee the recruitment and supervision of a team of research assistants to collect data;
- To supervise the qualitative data collection through in-depth interviews and participatory group discussions;
- To supervise a cross sectional survey of 900 college students in Mwanza;
- To implement data quality check protocols, supervise data cleaning and transcription and translation of qualitative data;
- To prepare study progress reports for sharing with the study investigators and collaborating institutions;
- To contribute in the analysis and write-up of data for dissemination through different platforms including publication in peer reviewed journals; and
- To perform any other related duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor
QUALIFICATION AND COMPETENCE:
- Masters degree in Social Sciences, Public Health or Epidemiology.
- Familiarity with data analysis software including STATA and NVivo.
- Two first authored publications on gender-based violence in peer reviewed journals in the past 3 years.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Swahili and English.
TERMS OF SERVICE:
One year contract which may be renewed on the basis of performance and mutual agreement.
The successful candidate will be based at NIMR Mwanza Centre and regularly visits to study sites.
A competitive salary will be offered to the successful candidate as per project budget
MODE OF APPLICATION:
- Application letters should be written in English;
- Applicants must attach certified copies of Birth certificate, academic certificates and other awards;
- Application letters should be attached with curriculum vitae which should not exceed two pages and contacts of two relevant referees;
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted; and
- Closing date for applications will be on 10th March, 2023
- A daytime mobile telephone number and e-mail contact details should be included in the application
All applications should be addressed to:
National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) Mwanza Centre,
Or through email: email@example.com
Leave a Reply