Veterinary Laboratory Technician at the Jane Goodall Institute
Jane Goodall Institute
A global community conservation organization that advances the vision and work of Dr. Jane Goodall
The Jane Goodall Institute Tanzania (JGI-TZ) is a reputable and rapidly expanding non-governmental organization committed to wildlife research, conservation, socioeconomic development, and environmental education. Founded in 1977, the Institute advances the vision and work of her founder Dr. Jane Goodall by continuing the chimpanzee research and inspiring communities to conserve the natural world we all share. Currently the Institute is seeking to recruit a suitably qualified and competent Tanzanian to fill the following vacant position:
Job Position : Veterinary Laboratory Technician
Duty Station : Gombe National Park, Kigoma
Main responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Assist in Biological and medical scientists in Laboratories to set up, operate and maintain laboratory instruments and equipment, monitor experiments, make observations, calculate, and record results.
- Assist with lab maintenance, equipment maintenance and supply inventories as necessary.
- Receive and record samples; maintain list of individuals that need sampled, communicate to field researchers and sample other collectors about this.
- Monitor progress of sampling of individuals to try to reach individual project goals.
- Performing molecular biology procedures, DNA and RNA extractions from stool samples
- Receive health check sheets, biological samples (fecal, urine etc.) and enter them into the online web-based database and spreadsheets.
- Assist with necropsies and organization/logging of necropsy samples.
- Spend a minimum of one day per week in the forest collecting samples and learning about individual chimpanzees identification and data collection.
- Learn methods of data collection i.e., observational data collection and assist with data translation, processing, and analysis.
- Assist researchers (PhD students and professors from Tanzania and abroad) with various research projects.
- Veterinary Laboratory Technician Job Vacancy at the Jane Goodall Institute
Minimum Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Holder of Bsc. in Biotechnology and Laboratory sciences (BLS), Bsc Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (MBB) or other related fields from recognized higher learning institutions.
- Familiar with Laboratory Molecular techniques, such as Extraction of DNA and RNA from different samples saliva, blood, and fecal samples and able to run Gel electrophoresis.
- Familiar with techniques of sample processing i.e., Examining samples for parasites, utilizing fecal processing techniques for microscopy and other microscopic techniques.
- Familiar with other laboratory skills with experience of setting up, running, and reading lab tests and operating lab instruments.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety and practices including standard precautions and hazardous chemical handling. Proficiency with basic laboratory calculations, such as dilutions and weights.
- Computer literacy i.e., Microsoft word and Excel
- Comfortable to work and stay in remote and excluded areas.
How to Apply:
All applications should be submitted together with the most recent Curriculum Vitae (Resume), copy of relevant certificates, testimonials, three names of reputable and current referees, active mobile phone number, e-mail address, and should be send to the below e-mail address:
Send by e-mail to: E-mail: email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
JGI Tanzania is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, national or tribal origin, religious belief, sexual orientation, and marital status.
The deadline for submitting the application is 30 February 2023.