The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Please visit https://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
The project complements and builds on ongoing efforts from the Building an Economically Sustainable Seed System for Cassava in Tanzania (BEST Cassava) project that has operated since 2017 and will end this year and transition into the Building an Economically Sustainable, Integrated Cassava Seed System, Phase 2 (BASICS-II) project in 2022 in Tanzania
IITA is looking for a suitably qualified person to fill the vacancy of the position of Zone Facilitator for the Muhogo Bora project.
Duty Station: This is a Nationally Recruited Position, and the incumbent will be based in Tabora, Tanzania.
The Zonal Facilitator will be responsible for CSE recruitment and selection of appropriate rural farmers with emphasis on women and youths, supervise training of CSEs, facilitate CSEs registration and ensure formation of CSE associations.
The zonal project manager will be responsible for:
- Ensuring Strategy and Performance
- Recruitment and selection of appropriate rural farmers with emphasis on women and youths to become CSEs
- A robust training program on agronomy, seed multiplication, and business skills
- Recruited CSEs to be registered as seed dealers by the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA)
- Linking CSEs with TOSCI for registration and inspections
- Backstopping, mentoring and monitoring for effective agronomic and business practices of CSEs
- Provide marketing and promotion support through seed grower’s associations
- Build and strengthen the capacity of seed grower’s associations
- Provide training to Extension staff (MoA) on commercialization and supervise them
- Management of other staff including performance— Field Area Facilitators (once recruited)
- Ensuring compliance with IITA procedures
- Administration and operation of Zonal Office
- Representing IITA in the local area business, government, other stakeholders
- Preparing monthly plans for the respective Zone and staff (to be approved by Technical Lead)
- Prepare monthly budget to correspond with activities in workplan
- Monitor expenses to budget – (staff expenses, vehicle, programming)
- Monitoring and Evaluation / Reporting
- Ensuring timely and accurate Data collection at all sites
- Monthly progress Zone report
- Tracking M&E against Performance targets and keeping Technical Lead advised
- Perform any other job-related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Qualification and Experience
A Bachelors’ degree in a relevant subject e.g. Agronomy, Agriculture general, Agribusiness
- A Minimum of 4 years’ professional experience of working with Research, agri-business, marketing and farmer organizations in East Africa.
- Knowledge & practical experience of Cassava agronomy, Research, Plant protections, Value Chain Development
- Good command of spoken and written English
- Good communication/social skills; Good familiarity with the area the project/program is situated
The initial contract for the position is for two years: renewable subject to performance and availability of funds. The duty station for the position will be IITA in Morogoro. This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Applications including curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.O. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to IITA-Tanzania@cgiar.org.
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope. Please note that any applications without the reference indicated will be automatically disqualified.
The deadline for submitting the application is 15 February 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.